Do you cram your advertising spend into one season, then leave the finance team with a headache trying to balance the books the remainder of the year? At AJ, we help clients spread their spend across a longer period and enjoy better results.
Many businesses have a peak season, where the most common approach is to ‘make hay while the sun shines’. But what happens when the sun goes in? Overheads remain, while staff are under-worked and cash coming into the business is massively reduced putting strain on the finances. Businesses need to be geared up for this and have a plan for the downtimes. Making the most of the workforce keeps them happy and maintains productivity.
So rather than turning the advertising spend tap off when the sun has gone, we have enjoyed great success with expanding our clients’ seasons, taking a number from being six-month-a-year advertisers to running ads all year round.
Reading light specialist, Serious Readers, only ran off-the-page ads after the clocks changed in the autumn, on the basis the results they were seeing didn’t justify spend during spring or summer. We’ve turned this around by introducing a number of changes, moving from a winter spend of £150k/month to a steady £30k/month all year, addressing and overcoming a major cashflow challenge for the business. A number of factors have helped us achieve it:
- Adding 40% to their list of ‘banker’ titles by testing an increased range of titles during their traditionally ‘peak’ period
- Developing a much larger range of sizes – ½ page vertical, 20 x 2, full page, ¼ page. You name it, we have it
- Introducing new ads to the existing portfolio, so we have around eight different creative executions at any one time
- Improving the offer and making it more prominent, improving results by 100%
- Working with a lower budget, we ‘cherry pick’ the best of the best, taking only the cheapest offers from the media we know will deliver the ROI we require
We have also used this approach with the Cashmere Centre, a market leader in quality cashmere knitwear products, extending their September – January media schedule to beyond the Christmas market. The same is true for their sister organisation, the Pearl Company, which focused solely on Christmas gifts. Water solutions provider, Kinetico, has also moved to year-round activity from just two 4-week campaigns a year.
If you would us to review your media schedule, capture lost opportunities, avoid the peaks and troughs of seasonal advertising and maximise ROI, we’d love to help. Contact Lesley Bowman on 01225 758222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.