Following All or nothing – which are you? we take a further look at how we help our clients find some hilly high points between the seasonal mountain peaks.
Becoming year-round advertisers has given our previously ‘seasonal’ clients a markedly increased return on investment. It’s made a big difference to their bottom line and taken the pressure off the dips in trade at what had been quieter times of year. Where turnover had fallen historically, and cashflow tightened, we’ve maintained successful campaigns, albeit with reduced spend.
How do we do it?
- Learn from previous results and repeat only the best performing ads when spend is reduced
- Book the typically more cost effective smaller sizes, allowing frequency to be maintained
- Take advantage of the very best late space deals, aiming to beat the typical short-term rates
- Stick to the tried and tested – this is not the time to take risks or attempt anything new
- Encourage clients to increase their offers or discounts
As a result, reading light specialist, Serious Readers, now advertises all year, doubling their annual budget. Similarly, market leader in quality cashmere knitwear products, the Cashmere Centre, has extended its advertising beyond its traditional pre-Christmas period. The company now advertises through January, into a reduced, but consistent, spend during spring and summer. By doing this, it’s been able to promote a different range of products, appropriate for the time of year; an approach it’s never tried before. While Christmas still remains its premium time of year, with gifts forming a large portion of its business, the company’s quiet times are now not so quiet – a major step forward for any business.
If you would us to review your media schedule and find some hills among the mountains, we’d love to help. Contact Lesley Bowman on 01225 758222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.